Sunday, July 08, 2012

Way Up Mountain Province

Our Banaue-Sagada-Baguio experience, though well planned, one can't really decode what's going to happen. Here's ours:

My time was reasonably stiff at that time. Why? My father was only in a 21-day vacation, I ditched going with him on Ilocos and when he arrived back in Manila, I'll be leaving the next day for the trip. What's sweeter was the day that I'll be heading home, was the day of his flight back.

Anyhow, blame me not. I needed and wanted to do this. So... :)

Am I prepared? In all honesty, not yet. I've had these strange feelings beforehand. Or was it because my childhood memory going to Isabela (somewhere in the mountain as well) was crystal clear. I can recall how steep the road (mala-bangin), how the bus moved every snake-like route. That pessimist part in me, yeah. Not to mention, the rainy season and simply the thought of going to place I'm not familiar with. But yes, there's also this inquisitive side of me wanting to be like Dora. :))


Departure (Wed):
Elai, Jhersey and I did some grocery around 4pm. Our supposed to be departure was 8.30pm, but since this Cable tour didn't reserve our seats. I went straight to their station night prior to reserve seats but they didn't inform me to pay any, or I was just not aware. And when they message me the next day, I wasn't able to respond right away, so slots were given to others. No hard feelings. Just sharing. Still, lucky that Ohayami station was just near our place (although choosing it would mean 2 unknown rides going to Sagada). On a lighter note, we'll have a chance to see Banaue Rice Terraces.

Going back, right after grocery, we checked on Ohayami to get seats. Sadly, the only available seats would be for 10pm trip, which means, late arrival at Banaue, late arrival at Sagada, not much time for roaming around.

Time check: Quarter to seven. I have time to "polish" packing and spend time with my family. Sound quite a scare, right? But that's what I'm thinking then. I even asked to have lunch with my Mom and Dad before I go to the trip, but thanks to my Mother who believes in superstition. She told me it's not good to do such, especially, I'll be on trip in a while. My father agreed and said that we'll do it after I get home. I must get home said he. Whoo.

And oh, the night before our trip, I had a chance to meet with my college friends, a birthday celeb, and one of those joked that I might not get back! But what she meant was different. She meant that I might find someone and fall in love blah, blah. Plus the thought of not so good news that just happened just this April (NPA stuff) in Mountain Province, I bet you already have the feeling I've had then.

While I was taking a rest, a friend of mine called and out of nowhere asked me how to get to Sagada, how much will it be, etc. Note that that friend of mine wasn't aware to where I'm heading. Just in the nick of good vibes, my worries turned to excitement; finally, sweeping off negativity.

The 3 hours preparation before the bus leaves I thought was enough. Talk about being confident of time and distance of place. My father nagged me on doing things the last minute. As expected? But I seriously want to get rid of this. One day I will :P Gladly, we just came in the station exactly 10pm and the bus has yet to leave.

On our way:
Our bus seats was somewhere 24, 25, 26 (arranged by twos). Bes and I were on the same side. Supposed to be, Jhersey was only 3-steps away, but the guy who arrived first won't take the other seat. Instead of complaining, Jhersey slept it off.
Jhersey wearing blue jacket

Bes Elai and I had so much catching up along the trip. So much fun remembering elementary: Bully days, lakwatsas, recess moments (Hahaha! May naalala ako :D) We also conversed about studies, plans, work -- clearly, how our lives had been. 

Around 1am, for some reasons we knew not, the bus stopped and stayed for like an hour. Thereafter, the beside guy Jhersey left a bottled water on his seat and went to other seat. Excited to own the two seats, Jhersey asked the guy if he plans transfer. To our surprise, the guy sat back beside him and talked to him in a silent yet fearful tone. I heard the guy asking for Jhersey's name and where his roots was. We were shocked. It felt like he can do things we expect not. It was scary. We don't know the place, we don't know the people, and it's not our "territory".

After the guy left, I wanted to talk to the nearest personS around me. Scream for help? Haha. So what's the confrontation all about?
When the guy was sleeping, Jhersey got irritated that he nudge off the guy whenever he do the head and shoulder banging. Also, I'm curious if the guy saw Jhersey's antic and mocking expression. Maybe it's the bounds why he get pissed, or, if ever he didn't see it, because our lives were spared. But honestly, super funny ng expressions ni Jhersey. No can resist. LOL

There's a vacant seat on our (Elai and I) back, and we asked politely if Jhersey can have the seat. Luckily the old folk agreed. At last, peace settled back in. Thank God we're safe. :)


*Clarification about the title, according to Wikipedia, Baguio isn't part of Mountain Province, nonetheless, used to. It says that it now belongs to Benguet Province, under Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR). I can't think of any, so I'll take it that way.
*Other stories to follow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment