Sunday, July 15, 2012

Farewell, King of Comedy

Photo courtesy of Definitely Filipino
Just like the others, I do not know Dolphy personally, neither had I met him. I am not sure if I am a fan, but I grew up watching Home Along Da Riles and sorts of his movies. 

"Umuuga, lumilindol! Kumapit ka, kumapit ka kung ayaw mong magkabukol!"

Yesterday I watched two of his hundred movies:

Home Along Da Riles and Home Along Da Riber. He portrays everyman in almost all of his roles and leave values at the end of the show. Perhaps that's the way "Pinilakang Tabing" goes before, but how he delivers makes him unique. His antics and his being spontaneous maybe are only some of the reasons why he was named as King of Comedy. 



I like that he doesn't need to disdain anyone to be funny. I think aside from sips-coffee-and-pukes-it-after scenes, his another signature was slapping his co-actor, but still looked funny, professional, and mannish.

Watching tributes, speeches, eulogy; and reading news about Dolphy moved me. It's not new to Filipinos to be family-oriented, tender-loving-care persons, that's why watching a loss of someone, be it we personally know him/her or not is but a heartbreak. Again, I don't know Dolphy, however seeing a lot of people testify about his humility and generosity, makes me feel like I know him as well. My hat's off to artists who help people silently and need not media nor public to show it off.

Also, I just want to share that I know someone, who is close to my family's heart who can attest to Dolphy's compassion. It's my Amang. My Mom's father. He worked in barbershop where Dolphy have his hair cut then. According to my mother and aunties, Amang was the barber of Dolphy (I'm not sure though how often was this). Mama even said whenever Amang renders a service to Dolphy, he would come home with a smile on his face. Thanks to the tip Dolphy gave. Inasmuch as I would love to share their photo together, I can't find it. When I do -- hopefully, I'll update this post.


I read last night from Wikipedia that Dolphy was the one who discovered Babalu to do showbiz (He doesn't look on status of the people. One more time, according to the people who know him personally). Babalu then was the driver of Panchito. My Amang and Babalu were just few of the stories of his big heart.


I didn't grow up with Lolo (Dad's father) or Amang by my side, both of them died before I reached toddler. So Dolphy was like a Lolo figure to me.
As Eric Quizon said, "Heaven is [now] a happier place." I hope Dolphy is now with my Amang and my Lolo and my Lola Ining and all of the late comedians.

I am lucky to be one the kids of 90's. I had the chance to witness the transition of Pinoy Entertainment somehow: situation comedy to [heavy] drama to reality shows. To all those Filipino artists who were once the reason their kababayans smile and laugh -- Thank you.

Aside from Zsa Zsa singing Through The Years and Rap Salazar's You Raise Me Up, Lift Up Your Hands by Basil Valdez, and this To Where You Are version of Jed Madela is really touching.

No comments:

Post a Comment