Saturday, July 14, 2012

Sagada

It was a drizzling afternoon when we arrived in Sagada. I included umbrellas in my bag while I was back home packing, but since it would make my bag heavier, I abandoned to bring it. Luckily, Sagada's Municipal Hall was only steps away. 

I saw a man who looks familiar upon heading their municipal. Ah! He's the Filipino guy (all of the other tourist there were foreigners) we saw in the place where we ate in Banaue. But why was he not with us in the van was my bubble thought.

He was just done talking to other Filipino tourists (there were also foreigners) when my friends and I approached him. This was the conversation we had:
Kami: "Hello, Kuya. Kayo po 'yung sa Banaue, di ba? Saan po kayo sumakay?"
Siya (Kuya Mike): "Oo, ako 'yun. Nag jeep ako."
Kami: "Nako, sayang! Dapat dun lang din kami eh. Naloko pa tuloy kami."
Siya: "Yayain ko nga sana kayo kaso baka magalit 'yung sa van. O baka magaway pa sila nun sinakyan ko."
Then we shared to him all of our frustrations, and as he quote, "Hayaan niyo na lang. Charged to experience."


We were happy to have finally met someone who we can talk to, someone who we can share our room expenses (at first we thought, a larger group will lessen the price, but learned that price remains same regardless of people) and yeah, we're stoked to share our adventures with him, too!
Kuya Mike is on vacation from Dubai. He's a first timer in Sagada as well. People who go to other places solo, is a real traveler for me. Going with my friends to places we haven't been, also is considered one, but going alone is something else.

We walked and searched for the Canaway Inn. It's not really far from the municipal, but with the rain drifting, it was. A month before the trip, I did research and also contact the people we need to. I want it to be polished. Better prepared than be surprised, right? But again, plans, won't go as expected (happens almost always). I tried to reserve room a month ahead, however due to changes in our trip, my friend and I decide not to pressure ourselves too much and just let time do its talking.


Affordable guesthouse rates in Sagada range from 250 to 350/pax and it could go higher than that depending on the inn or hotel. "Ay wala ng vacant eh. May darating din kasi bukas na nagpa-reserve na," said Ate from Canaway. I am eager to get the room for it's one of the afforadable yet has good service to offer (thanks to travel trips advises online). Then suddenly, these two friends of mine made goofy signals telling me to back off the idea. Kuya Mike and I followed them and said they were offered lower rate in George Guest House for only 200/head. Inclusives are hot bath, towel, and wifi! So glad towels are included! Not any of us was able to bring one. And with wifi is just cool stuff. We took a rest for a while. Snacks, shower, and get ourselves prepared for unexpected. Did I just say prepared? Let's see. 

Heading back to Sagada's municipal was easier; thanks to gravity. It's also where one registers (Fee is around 50php, I think. It's for the betterment of the town) and where one can arrange their tour: tour guides, fees, places to go, map, and things you want to ask. Every tour requires a different fee, depends on the place. Maximum of 10 pax. The more, the merrier, the lesser the fee. If you'll travel solo or with a small group, fret not. Tour guides are there to help you find group to fit in. Tour guide IS A MUST, especially in places which requires professional guidance.

Our initial plan was to hike first at Echo Valley, then late afternoon was to try Cave connection (Lumiang to Sumaging or vice versa). But because it rained, tour guides won't allow people to trek for trails could really be slippery. Of course, I don't want to risk my life just yet, so it's a no for that. And because we met not-so-good on the way, budget went limited. We agreed with Kuya Mike together with the others to head on caving. We were on a group of 7: 4 Filipinos, 2 Belgians, 1 Korean. Plus our 3 tour guides. 10 all in.

A little later a mobile service arrived to picked us. I was doubtful in bringing camera 'cause Kuya tourguide said we would have to go in small areas and even plunge ourselves to chest-deep water. Buti na lang they allowed me to drop by in our inn so I can leave my cam. We also had the chance to see Hanging Coffins from afar.
Photo credits to photo owner thru myspace. Same view where we saw it.
 

Then just a little later, we arrived at our destination.

Sumaguing Cave. Looks easy? Don't be deceive.
Photocredit from ourbalikbayan's clip on YouTube
*All photos without due credits were all taken from Elai’s phone.

I did my first spelunking 7 years ago in Biak na Bato. It's fun and the challenge was just enough for an HS sophomore. Our field trips then were close to nature. But I tell you, the challenge I had in Biak na Bato was not even half of Sagada's.

The usual time to get through out of the cave is 3-4 hours. One will have to enter small holes, rappel, walk in slippery area, plunge in cold water, get muddy, walk with their butt, walk with feet and hands at the same time, and go through challenging paths.
It's a test of strength and emotions. There's were areas where I just muttered, "Seryoso?


Photo courtesy of linguist-in-waiting

Photo credit to sagadatour
There were coffins at the entrance of Lumiang, I wasn't scared for that -- I was scared in pursuing the challenge, but ended up wanting to try some thrill. I enjoyed the first few minutes of caving, not much of narrow areas, no steeps, no water gushing out until I saw a small hole. We have to get in there and do our first rappel. Of all the research I did before, how I come I didn't remember reading the word rappel. But since I was 4th to the last person to do it, I realized, that they can, I can, too.

The 2nd kuya tour guide was telling me where to place my feet and to slide. I was doing good for few moments 'till I hurt my butt and one of my fingers real bad. What happened? I fell. I fell from a 6 to 8 feet rock. Who's fault? Maybe mine. Maybe kuya's. But as we continue, I realized it was mine. I literal took it when he said, "Mag slide ka lang." Too dumb to forgot the purpose of the rope. As he said slide, I loosen my grip on rope. Yet I was lucky to have fallen on a rock-secluded area. I was lucky I didn't hurt myself too much (6-8 ft is no joke). I was lucky to be alive. Loosen up! The story just got started. Kidding. That's just one. There's actually seven memorable scenes.

I won't go into details for I don't want to scare you. So here were my unforgettable scenarios: 2) where we need to embrace this huge rock in order to get down; 3) where we have to rappel and after so, enter in a small path, the catch was one wrong move and cliff was waiting [I almost cried here. Hahaha!]; 4) where we were asked to get into chest-deep cold water. I wasn't scared here 'till I found this photo and read its caption;

I didn't know it's uneven pool! Photo courtesy of liquiddruid
5) where we have to go down on a hilly rock and I was pessimist that if I slip, I would directly fall out of nowhere [wants to back out moment the second time. :p];

                                But it's all worth it every after the risky parts!  

6) finally seeing the light, which means way out, but we have to go down -- again.Got scared here. We only have one tour guide left.
Photo courtesy of ivanlakwatsero
I'll stop from there and elaborate on some parts. About the 5th, the 3rd kuya tour guide was already talking to the 2nd tour guide in their dialect, and it felt na naiinis na siya sa dramarama ko. HAHA. But I was really grateful to all of our tour guides, especially to kuya 2nd. He had been my ladder and ladder and ladder when scenarios call for it. Forgot his name. Will search it sometime.

Going back, on 6th one, we were asked if will go down, and see other rock formations, or go our way out.
I bet you know what I chose. My friends, Kuya Mike and I decide to head out. We have to give the adventures trophies to the foreigners. :]
Photo credit to elephantondiet
Lastly, the 7th memorable was when we need to climb our way out, and it gets better with bats' poops, making it so slippery. Confession: I almost fell here. I've never been scared for my life like this. I had the feeling that one of my foot was nearing to slip. I prayed. I prayed to God to help me finish it. And just in a split second, my prayers were answered. :))) 

You can grasp more of what I'm saying:
Lumiang Cave - thelonerider

Again, I am thankful for our professional tour guides. They are locals from Sagada and really know what they're doing. My advice for those who plan to do the Cave Connection, is ALWAYS listen to what the guides say. If they say, right foot, follow it. If left foot first, don't do otherwise.

I was soooo elated as soon as we went out. Does it show?

 
But I still walked on a semi-sitting position. Trauma? I asked the 1st kuya tour guide if I was the weakest of all he handled and he surprisingly said, "Hindi naman. Ayaw mo lang talaga tulungan sarili mo." BOOM! I think it doesn't completely apply in my experience in the cave.
Why? What can one expect from someone who fell from 6-8 ft on the first 20-30 mins of the 3-hours spelunking? Maybe it's half true, though. But I have to admit it's ringing true in real life. Too bad.

So there ends the challenging Cave Connection. Oh, forgot to mention kilig moments. Hahahaha. Anyway, we went back to municipal and there we settled our payment. 450 each person, opposite from all other tours, for its weigh of difficulty was different. But we paid 500 pesos for the guides skillful effort.
We bade our goodbyes to group mates and head back to our inns. Sadly the night has to end just like that. LOL. 


Sagada have their 9pm curfew. I stumbled at this beautiful photo showcasing the beauty of Sagada at night.

*Some photos which aren't mine are included with due credits. I encourage you to read their blogs and watch their videos as well. :)

It rained while we're taking our rest, yet we still went out to try the fame yogurt.

It tastes like laughing cow cheese, plus cream cheese, then add to that the flavor you choose. It's thick and yummy. How I wish though that its frozen.

Dining area at George Guest House
Painting


Before I retreat to sleep, the experience I just had came repeating. Glad it wasn't my nightmare. Haha. Btw, the room doesn't need electric fans nor air conditioner, the environment already was cold.

                                                      Morning in Sagada
We left Sagada 8am thus we woke up early so we can at least savor our time. With bags on our backs and shoulders, it would be hard for us to roam around. Fortunately, Ate from the bus station allowed us to leave our belongings. Look how hospitable and honest Sagadians are. :) 



              Kuya Mike and Elai. I'm not sure if there's another route to Echo Valley than this.

Will I go back to Sagada? If funds and opportunity permit, it's a resounding YES! I wish next time I'll stay longer and have the chance to visit Echo Valley, Bumod-ok Falls, Kiltepan viewpoint and Lake Danum; talk to locals, eat Lemon pie and their other cuisine; witness any ceremonies or any of their special events and hope by that time I already conquered my other fears and maybe, just maybe, go to Sumaguing cave again to see awesome rock formations.

Some might take the caving experience really scary, but don't. It will just make things worse just in case you'll do it. Honestly, doing Cave Connection is TRULY an experience! Sometimes, we have to breakaway from our comfort zones, and try things we have not and even things we have no knowledge of doing, and of course, brace life. ;)



You can also watch these videos:
Pasyal Studio23 - malecdan13
BYAHE, Sagada Province Documentary - jayrcator 
Choose Philippines: Sagada (nice compilation) - bpkokoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment