Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Scary Night in Baguio

You'll know you're in Baguio when you get stuck in traffic.
Baguio is 6-7 hours away from Sagada, likewise going from Manila to Banaue, the road is steep, but the reward your eyes get is amazing.

The difference I've noticed between Mountain Province (Manila to Sagada) and Cordillera (Sagada to Baguio) was that the latter have more towns, or so I thought.

It rained midway our destination. If you seldom go to such areas (just like yours truly), raining in a cliff area with fogs elsewhere would be a fright. But somehow I was over with my oh-not-again moments. The perks of laughing with your friends and being on the second row of a mini bus do.


Baguio welcomed us with small drops of rain at past 3 o'clock pm. Kuya Mike needed to be back in Manila on that day, so it's the three of us again. With the aimless people walking around, with no maps nor people/number to contact to, with the city in front of us, we found ourselves hitting for another adventure.
There's a lot of small falls along the road.
Few minutes away from Sagada
How green would you want it to be?
 Taken also when the bus was moving. Lovely still. CAR is more creative? An hour before Baguio
It was 2005 when I had the chance to see Baguio. It's almost 7 years now. I was with my family then and the directions for me was fuzzy.

Back when I was reading tips going to Baguio, I run into a site recommending Teacher's Camp as a good place to stay in with economical rates. If you are fan of Magandang Gabi Bayan (November edition) or any talk shows featuring hair-raising scenes, Teacher's Camp is familiar to you. Because my friends and I wanted to experience an extraordinary fun, we opted to spend a night there.

It took us a lot of walking, asking for directions, and waiting for a cab. Btw, one of Baguio's main transportations is fx-like cab. We asked kuya driver why was it so, he said it was better than the usual cabs going through the hilly city of Baguio. And if you think, it's really much better 'cause one can have a good deal of space. Also, their flag rate was 5-peso cheaper than in Manila. We asked again why, he told us, "Kasi po (very polite) di kami gumagamit ng air-con. Kaso nga lang, kung tutuusin, mas mahal ang gas dito sa Baguio kesa sa Manila. Kailangan pa kasi i-byahe." So when you ride a cab in Baguio, make sure to prepare an extra coins. :)

We also asked kuya driver to tell us stories about Teacher's Camp. It won't matter if it's a second hand or first hand story, as long as it's about the place. He has a timid nature hence we didn't acquire data we expected. Soon, we were already at Teacher's Camp.

My friends and I approached the first person we met on how we can have a room in the camp and yes, to tell us stories about it. Too curious? We met Ate. She was friendly, willing to help us, and also lend us her umbrella. Heading down the camp I didn't imagine it was that big.

The only memory I have with this place was when I watched MGB's clip which showed a wash area of the camp. I didn't bother to go through stories and photos of it when I had my research for I wanted it a surprise. After an 8-min to 15-min walk, we then arrived at where we have to spend the night. 

What I've thought before was there would be a place where we can arrange our accommodation whatsoever. It surprised me that we'll have to stay or we can we can stay at Ate's house. Although she was friendly, the thought of her not informing us ahead of time, I have to admit, gave me a weird feeling. 
 
According to www.cityofpines.com:
Within the camp are classrooms, dormitories, cottages, dining areas, administrative offices, and assembly halls for different activities that are held there.
 
For more photos visit cityofpines.

Ate's crib was actually okay. It's cemented, it has a gate, it's a typical one finds in the city. It should have comforted me, however the thought of walking in the night in the path we just traversed was.. uh, scary. There were areas that lights won't suffice well. My little mind wondered how will we eat, wander at night and how our night will be without wifi. I can live a day without it, but it felt like that moment we're away in the city (but we were actually in the city. Paradoxical, eh?).

We went inside. There were two rooms, which I surmise, were really for guests. One room bigger than the other and there's a lavatory and a comfort room in between.

Ate's two girls (ages from 6-10) were saying that their house now was better than before -- in terms of ghost. You guess where their house before was. It's just somewhere behind their current house. According to Ate, "'Wag kayo matakot. 'Yung sa bahay namin 'yung nakakatakot dati. Malala 'yun magparamdam."

The rate they said was 300/head and we haggled it down to 200. It should really be that, anyway. The room was small. It has 1 double deck and 1 single bed and a big jalousie window. The three of us planned to sleep in one bed and to share creepy stories all night. We were having fun for two hours until Jhersey received a message: "Bakit andiyan kayo? Umalis na kayo agad. Dapat lagi kayong may dala na asin diyan. I'll tell you why when you get out of there. Don't trust anyone you don't know and never look back."

Right there, all my senses came alive; my eyes caught a look of terror. I remember the scary stories I've heard. I remember my cousin's story about bumping on an old lady in Baguio who asked for coins yet she failed to give some. After some time, she heard her name being called but found no one calling her. That same story when my cousin had loosen her grip to her friend's arm, and found a bunch of dead hair in her hands. Dead hair from nowhere. We hurriedly packed our things, cleaned our mess, and rehearsed our alibis.

Jhersey: "Kuya, nagtext po kasi sila sa akin sa bahay. Emergency daw po. Kailangan ko na daw pong umuwi. Pasensya na po. Babayaran na lang po namin 'yung nagamit namin na oras."
Me: "Sayang naman... Sana 'di biglaan 'yung text."
Elai: "Saan po ba pwede makasakay ng bus papuntang Manila? Meron pa po kayang biyahe ngayon?"

That kuya doesn't seem so convinced with our acting. Honestly, that guy, I'm not sure how he's related to Ate, yet it's awkward to have him around. Don't know why. So we paid half of their rate. It was pitch dark and our walk way out enthused and spook me at the same time. Eventually, after reaching the top, I had an incredible feeling of redemption and peace. Haha.
Pagoda Mirasol

The message Jhersey received was like lines from a horror film. It was funny thinking about it now, but if you're on our shoes that time, it's not. But did I follow what was said? Not really. I looked back and can't help to ask people for directions. I almost even said to the old folk we met just outside the camp to come with us while we tour the city at night (he's asking for the camp's rate and direction and he's on a vacation, too).

We took a jeepney, paid 8php and it dropped us to Burnham Park. We haven't eaten lunch yet so we stopped for some street food though we're not on the mood to eat. I asked the kuya vendor if he can suggest a place to stay, he said, "Nagpunta dati 'yung mga pinsan ko dito. Tapos meron silang natirahan sa likod ng mall (forgot the name). At okay naman ang presyo." Shortly, his friend arrived and told us some places to go. For some reasons I wanted to ditch off what I was doing. His friend asked me to just call the number of his relative (they own an inn), and just like what my friends and I did to the camp, we said there's an emergency and we just asked for bus station instead. So it won't hurt him, we get the number he's referring and told we'll call it if there will be another change of plans or whatnot. After so, my friends reminded me of not talking to anyone. Pasaway lang?

The search for transient continues. With our backpacks and shoulder bags, we scrutinized inns/hotels we passed along. The endless walking seemed forever. Then things settled in... We're lost in Baguio for already an hour or two. Walking would have not been exhausting if only we're charged up and if only we didn't face that same scenario 3 hours ago.

Finally, we found a place to stay. Hotel 45 is sandwiched between restaurants. It's a little walk from Mcdo session road. You'll notice the hotel with its staircase as an entrance, and on the second floor lies their lobby. The room we had was matrimonial. It has a comfort room, a television, a fan and 2 different pair of slippers.
Photo from carmyela's phone

They also include wifi (which you can have good access in their lobby) and breakfast. All in is around 900-1000 pesos for one day, good for 3 persons. Frankly, I am not aware of differences among lodges, inn, hotel, hostels, guest house, etc. This place we stayed was made of woods and for me, it looked like a vintage dormitory. I think it's named such because it was built way back 1945. With its word hotel, I am not sure why. But they already have other establishment which would give justice to its name.

Photo from carmyela

As we were resting on the lobby, I chanced on asking one the vacationists if I can borrow a charger. Haha. I left mine at home. So there we met Kuya Daryl and Kuya Dino. They shared that if we will be staying for another night, there are a lot of transients along Lourdes Grotto which offers lower rate but same service as with Hotel 45.

Baguio's Mcdo along session road doesn't need to be air-conditioned.Photo courtesy of mymanila.

In as much as we wanted to roam around, we decided to just eat and doze off.


Around 11 pm, we went back to lobby and google-d on stories about Teacher's Camp and we're so glad we didn't stay at the camp. All of a sudden I received a message from my cousin saying that I died in her dream. You have no idea how I felt that night. From the unsure feeling in Manila, to the ruse we had in Banaue, to thrilling cave in Sagada, to eerie-finding adventure just awhile ago. Biro nga ni Jhersey, "Sign na 'yan." Of the finality of what's going to happen, I have no idea. Although the night didn't go so well, I was grateful I have my Bible, it helped me carry off the bad vibes. Nobody wants their trip to be ruined, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment