Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Banaue

 

I barely slept the whole trip. As soon as I saw light (considerable amount to wake up my senses) my eyes and ears didn't rest: my eyes for the wonderful view, my ears for the sound trip care of the dear driver. It was a bright idea that all, if not most, of the trips going to Banaue, Mountain Province, particularly, scheduled in the evening. For just when passengers wake up, they will see the beauty of the place, and won't see much of the hilly trail -- uh-oh, so I thought at that moment.

I was on a mixed emotion. Every town we came to pass, I surmised, was the unloading area. Likewise every mountain, I thought, was where I can see the renowned Rice Terraces. I kept my eyes on the window, not wanting to missed the chance. One hour had passed, two hours came, still no avail.

During sight-seeing, I can't help but be amazed on how infrastructures were done. Imagine, how steep mountains are. Not to mention the danger. And to have it done well is really commendable. Oh, I am not forgetting the dearest driver. Driving on place such is more than a skill. It's a talent.

Let me share my observation for the townspeople. Being raised in a city, the vehicle's horn; the aimless walking people, their whispers; the dogs bark -- the busy world are nothing but normal. Lullabies, eh?
Another phone shot. I've seen this almost all along the trip. I guess it also is a sign of a nearing municipality
A huge pig sticking out its face :)
Living in the province, in my opinion, means forgetting late nights, malls, party, and for few, away from technology. That goes to show how monotonous and simple life could be up there. If you're looking for time to reflect and for inner peace, this is where to go, or any place near Mother Nature. Comparing it from the city, thus, is way different. No wonder why some prefer to retire in province like this. I've even seen a handful of foreigners. More fun in the Philippines, it is. Then few moments after, at long last, I saw jeepneys going to Bontoc -- and a good view of Banaue Rice Terraces.
Right after we get out of the bus, there was this pool of people asking us if we were heading to Sagada and offered their service. As I've said in my previous post, we were supposed to be in Cable Tour, which also is a two-way ride to Sagada, but is much easier to our destination (Manila-Bontoc[1 hour ride]-Sagada). I've done my fair share of readings beforehand, but getting to Manila-Banaue-Sagada route is again, unfamiliar. Nevertheless, let alone adventure.

The guy said van, I heard. He didn't tell us how much was their fare. We didn't even see their van. Like a hypnotic guy barker, I and my friends reluctantly yet submissively followed him. I'm not saying we're hypnotized in the same words. I was fully aware of what I was doing, and so I know my friends, too. But feet happened to have its own mind. Consequently, we head down the stairs and there a little town awaits.

We stayed in a restaurant kind of place. The first part a sari-sari store, then the middle was a small computer shop. However, no customer. So I doubt if it's a shop.

Came the dining area. There's a couple of foreigners, and one Filipino guy (yey, we're not alone!). In my guess, we will be on the same van. The guy btw, said he needed to fill the 12 seats first before heading to Sagada. He told us to take a rest first. Take a breakfast. I'm not sure but I think I heard him say 3-4 hours ride. A lady and folk told us in the bus that going to Sagada is two hours away from Banaue. Confusing. As we sat and browse on the menu, something seem strange.

I ordered Tapsilog. I expect it to be good because I was hungry, and a bit pricey. You can get a good deal of Silogs in Metro without spending too much. Upon tasting it, it's not what I thought.
Oh well, not everyone's a cook.
I have to give credits on the photos they have on their wall.
Jhersey and Elai

I just love this shot
It could have really been better without the eyesore. Anyhow, hence I said little town






After charging ourselves up, the barker guy again approached and told us that he and his cousins failed to fill the seats. Which meant that we're only 6 on the van and we have to pay for the remaining seats. So if it's 300pesos, double it. The 11-hour trip from Manila going to Banaue was 450 per head. This 2-3 hour cost fortune. I wanted to say no. But one side of my mind, it's whispering yes. Why? He accompanied us down the town (not a hundred steps away), he accompanied us in the.. resto? Cafeteria? Carinderia? Or whatever it be called. And we will just back out? That's not a good idea. Especially, again, in place you ought to know not. Elai said yes, that helped my bipolar neurons to calm down. But seriously, I felt sorry for Bes pockets. Heehee.

When we get inside the van we counted the people inside and found that we've been tricked. We're seven inside. That would mean they owe us a change. Around 255 pesos. Sayang din 'yun. We could use it to pay for guesthouse, or food, or tour guide.

The barker guy didn't come in the van, but we asked him about the change and he said, "Don't worry. No problem." We urged the driver but he didn't seem to hear it. So my friends and I decide that we'll just get it when we arrived to our destination.

Awhile ago, I mentioned how thankful I was with infrastructures, and with the driver (Previous one. Bitter? Haha) Now let me tell you how amazed I was to our beloved ancestors. Doing a staircase-like field in a mountain wasn't easy at all. I actually have no idea. Not only that, boy, it was built 2000 years ago! Just think about their time having only limited tools and equipments. Rice Terraces aren't just found on one area, it's all over Mountain Province! You can also find it in Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR). Truly, these folks got talent. ;)

*Brown captions are click-able, for a larger view. Yes, I wasn't able to do click-able photos, so I resort to this one. :)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Banaue's Viewpoint. Did you see the stairs? The real one. And also the people farming?

Our folks :)
Other side of Rice Terraces
Bohol-like? :)
Me wanting to be Dora? :]
Souvenir shop at Viewpoint
Going back to the trip, every mountain that we passed by I wished was Sagada already. Why? Aside from excitement, my breath was being taken away every zigzag route we take. Man, the steep areas are everywhere! How can it not? We're in mountains. On a lighter side, taking a van than a bus is better in a way that you won't be in a higher seat, therefore seeing cliffs are less scary.
Stream, houses, and the green, green grass
If you plan going to Sagada, the "surest" sign that you're already near the town, which I observed then, was you'll about to hit the "last" mountain. What makes me say it so? Sagada, just what Jhersey said, is like an island. Island that is not surrounded by water, but is figuratively circular in shape and is located literally on the top of the mountain.

A few moments later, there we saw a small signage of Sagada. It would take 5-10 minutes ride from the signage to the town proper (where the "island" is). Hospital, church, municipality, market, guesthouses, buses, jeepneys and personal vehicles were all over the town. I regret not taking photos. It rained as soon we get there.

Oh, allow me to continue my story about our change. We let the foreigners unload the van before we asked for the change. The driver told us he cannot give the change unless otherwise agreed by the barker. He called the guy. He let us talked to the guy but gave us alibis in return. That we should have get it before the van head off. That we should have said it earlier. Hello, we did. He was just not listening. The driver said, "Ako din lagot kasi sa akin din ibabawas 'yung pera pag hindi sila pumayag at ibigay ko sa inyo ngayon."

In all honesty, we don't want to make it big. However, we also don't want them people to give us a wrong impression. We said, not verbatim, "Kuya, unang una, hindi naman kami sasakay sa van niyo, dapat jeep lang. Kaso hindi na kami nakatanggi. Isa pa, naka-budget lang 'tong lakad namin. At tsaka, hindi naman kami foreigner para pagkakitaan niyo. Malinaw 'yung usapan. Tayo tayo pa bang Pilipino maglolokohan? Tapos mas mahal pa kayo sa bus? Binibigyan niyo lang ng 'di magandang impresyon 'yung lugar ninyo." After that, we left and he still insisted what he had said. Again, it is not a matter of money, it is a matter of integrity.

This is the photo of the van
I am not discouraging anyone. My only two cents here is be wise enough whenever going to places you're not familiar with. Always bring your di-magpapalokong mukha, or plainly, don't be naive. But DON'T be stiff and negative. Just enjoy the trip. After all, it will not be always that you're going to encounter not-so-good people. Good ones still outweigh them. Just be cautious and trust your instincts. ;)

Will I go to Banaue again? If opportunity permits, why not. The next time, I would love to stay for a day or two and walk along the rice paddies. And will probably try Hapao-Hungduan-Ducligan trek.

See other photos here:
Banaue Rice Terraces in Philippines - bestourism
Aerial View of Banaue, Rice terraces, Ifugao Province - vtg87
Panoramic view of Banaue Rice Terraces - Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment