Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Magsingal, Ilocos Sur

Since my cousins celebrated their Thanksgiving in Magsingal, I grabbed the chance of taking photos of my Father's hometown. Back in Manila, I've already "arranged" my itinerary for the coming days in Ilocos (I planned to stay longer than 3 days) so I  can go over the town more and do a little history taking. Unluckily, my family didn't allow me to stay so I'll just give credits to Google for taking over what I should have known there.

Magsingal gets its word from an Ilocano term Managsinggal, which surprisingly, means "wanderer". The term was a nature of Itnegs or Tingguians, who migrated in the place some time 200 to 300 years before Spanish Era. In time, it underwent some changes, thus the current name is. Source: IlocandiaRealtor 
However, according to Wikipedia, the municipality's name was originated from Mayisingal an Ilocano term as well, which means "to be moved". Whichever of the two is the real one, I get that feeling that these two words imply the same.
Magsingal Town Hall

If I'm not mistaken, it is where they hold town's event, especially during fiesta. It also serves as their stage. Oh, how I missed fiesta!
 
Now comes their very own, Church of St. William The Hermit (Parish Church of San Guillermo de Aquitania). It is also classified as Baroque style and is known for its three-layered retablo with eight niches, and its antique wooden altar. Sorry, though. The church was closed that time, leaving me to explore its sides. Source: IlocosSurPH

Just a few walks from the church is where one finds the town's museum along with its belfry. Didn't take a photo of the museum. It's getting dim and... Anyhow, here is where you can try their version of Emapanada, and eat other street foods. In all honesty, I prefer Magsingal's Empanada rather than Vigan's. That's bias aside.
According to my Dad, clay pots and other products actually started in Magsingal, but bloomed in Vigan. This I asked to my Lola who is selling Lusob, the one being used in making well (the term is famous in their province which generally refers to clay products). Because my Lola is already 92, and turning 93 this October, it's a challenge getting information from her. It was fun tough hearing that she knows I'm "interviewing" her. Naka-sense lang and she still knows that word! Judgmental much? But seriously, my Lola has a really sharp mind. She can still recall stories, give advices (uh, more of saway and pangaral when it comes to dressing, being with my age people, and such), listens to radio and prays everyday! Yeah, she still sells Lusob. Top that! :) I'll make a blog about her for her birthday (and for my other Inang, too, next time.

Okay, what did she say about Lusob? As stated by her, it's Vigan really where she gets her supplies even before. There were times when Magsingal people also created clay products, dismally, the place where they get the clay is too deep, hence the products there didn't thrive.

Next is Magsingal's public market. Beautiful just like the town hall, isn't? Taking this photo was not on purpose. Was just lucky to passed by here via moving tricycle. Agyaman kami kenka, Apo! :D Translated by Mica. Thanks, Ading! :)
Lastly...
Look at the photo closely. I didn't take the shot, neither have I seen it taken. I was busy roaming around the church while my cousins were busy looking for food. Btw, it was close to 6 pm when we decide to have a walk outside the house. Whether this one is real or not, it certainly posed a threat to us -- or to me. Threat that it might go with me elsewhere. Worse is, it might come with me in Manila. Ha ha! Well, that's how crazy my imagination could be. Have to admit too that I was hesitant believing at first. They could just be goofing around (ako lang kasi nawala sa kanila ng ilang minutes). But when I think about it, it's really possible: looking on the time and the place, and my cousin is not that techie and bully to go through editing a photo. Plus, my brother wasn't around. We even joked on our way home that the ghost was quite choosy for posing in S3 phone. Nevertheless, no "Shutter" movie scene happened on Magsingal and so in Manila. Yes!

Too early for November? Is it real or not? See for yourself! :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for featuring our town. To know more about our town, visit our blog: www.magsingalvirtualplaza.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, Sir/Ma'am. The town is nice, it's my pleasure. Thanks for dropping by po. :)

    ReplyDelete