Saturday, September 15, 2012

Bantay Belfry and St. Augustine Parish Church


My childhood summer(s) were always almost revolves in Magsingal; Vigan; or Santo Domingo, Ilocos Sur. Why not just in one area? The perks of having a family scattered in one province. Since this post is about Bantay's Church, which is a town adjacent to Vigan, the church should not be new to me. It was.

When I said I spent my summer in Ilocos, particuarly in Vigan, I meant it to be long vacations. The longest I could stay was weeks to a month and a half. Basically, I spent my almost entire (2 months) of elementary and high school vacation there. I can even ditch having Christmas and New Year's Eve with my family in Manila for my relatives in Ilocos. But this only happened twice if my memory serves me right. Perhaps that's how I learned to speak their languange despite someone teaching me, despite not being 
brought up there. 


So okay, have I seen this Bantay's tower then? Not yet. I've just noticed it in my late HS or early college days. Maybe because we, my cousins, only stroll around the premise of Vigan. Or maybe because I was not so into with historical landmarks yet then. More so, I am happy to say finally.

The tricycle or calesa will enter either the church's gate along the highway or gate in front of church. The tent beside the church is where one registers for a tour guide for the belfry. If you ask me, tour guide isn't necessary. But they do well in assisting you going through the top of the bell, they give some of the place history -- and yes, a little amount won't hurt. In as much as I wanted to share what the tour guide said, I can't for I was preoccupied going through the church when my family went upstairs

The Belfry and St. Augustine Parish Church are situated on a hilly part of the town. The bell tower was built in 1590, and the church was built a year after. Climbing the second floor of the floor is cemented, but going through the third part, you might need a help. Stairs are made of wood. You will see then 5 bells: one huge bell on the center which Manong said is use for ordinary days, while the 4 remaining represent an occasion (Weddings, Christening, Fiestas, and Funeral).
From Kuya Rye; yeah, forgot the facade of the church



A few walks from it is where St. Augustine Parish Church lies. Patroness of Nueva Segovia or Shrine of Our Lady of Charity are the names associated to the Bantay's Church. It was been around since 1951 and was managed then by Augustinian friars. Unfortunately, the parish was damaged during WWII, but was rebuilt in 1950. It is said to be one of the oldest church in our country. You can check its history here: PhilippinesPhil

The great Diego Silang seen in the side of the Church
According to other bloggers, the tower, particularly, was made of bricks, rocks, and mixture of seashells and sugar cane. Lo and behold. I remember my cousins told me that St. Paul Cathedral Church in Vigan was made of egg, bricks, rocks, but mostly eggs. Not sure how true this is. However, knowing people who live centuries ago can make a church such this is really something else. I mean, it sure is not very grand, but something that can stand the test of time is more than grand. 422 years and 421 years, and, and still counting, eh? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment