Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Sec. Robredo, the Face of Genuine Politician

Taken from Definitely Filipino FB fan page
It was eleven days already (Saturday) when news about Masbate plane crash broke. I found this when former Senator Dick Gordon tweeted asking prayers for the safety of our DILG Secretary. Since then-Sen. Gordon's tweets were also posted on his Facebook fan page, I read comments on his same post. I saw people giving their prayers and others saying their disappointments on possibilities that might happen for our good public servant, as they said. I would be honest that I knew not how our secretary look like then. I still have to google and after I did, my frustration surfaced in shame of not knowing some of our Cabinets.

Anyhow, let's shoo away my "innocence." After which I read people's remarks about Sec. Robredo, I prayed for his safety and the two pilots. Sunday came, and no news about them being found.

Just like Amer R. Amor, I at that time would faithfully check news on Twitter and hope they're alive, read a few hashtags about Sec. and go across some articles. I discovered how humble he was in spite of the 140 awards and citations he received (not sure if this is usual amongst politician); how he talked and gave his good luck to a group of students vying for "quiz bee" of sort without bodyguards (which was I think was unusual for a city Mayor); how he helped his people and their city whenever typhoons approach, according to NagueƱos; he's the first guy they see sweeping the streets and the last to leave; how he responded to his people text messages, and his effort to drop by to any celebration/event that's significant or a simple occasion (birthday); how he attended to disasters with his usual shorts and slippers (as testified by those who know him and by this photo);

how he communicated to everyone not looking on economical status; not to mention, not wanting media to broadcast his works. How did I know about all this? Thanks to news. With all the testimonies for the Hon. Robredo, and maybe some which were not known to me and to many, truly, this man did things in humble and sincere and compassionate ways to serve his countrymen.

Last week's waiting was moving -- and, reeling for his loved ones. It also shook the nation. A lot of us, shed tears for this man, whether we know him personally or not. Going over news about Sec. Robredo was overwhelming. It pained me not only with his family's prolonged agony of waiting and the untimely demise of their loving brother/father/husband, but also for the country's loss for a good man, no for a great man. It's saddening and unbelievable at the same time for I was not aware that such soul like that of him is possible.

In the Holy Mass last Sunday, Father mentioned in his homily that he was amazed by Sec. Imagine doing a twice or thrice confession in a month? The last time I made a confession was five months ago, and prior to that was somehow four years gap. So 2-3 times in a month is a wow for me. As the late Sec. wife said on an interview, "I think he was prepared to face the Lord."

I know nothing about the other politician's achievements or stories and so if some do the same thing Sec. has done. His life may have ended early but as many have said, he fared his journey well. I can only hope that there is still someone, rather a lot of citizens, especially politicians, who have a huge and clean heart alike with Sec. Robredo. Let me add the conversation DBM Sec. Abad and DOF Sec. Purisima had (according to Sec. Abad's eulogy for our late SILG):

Sec. Purisima:Pare, mahirap itong nangyari kay Jesse.”
Sec. Abad: “Bakit?”
Sec. Purisima: “Pare, ‘pag tayo ang namatay at hindi ganito ang reaksyon ng taumbayan,baka sabihing wala tayong ginawa!”
Sec. Abad: “Eh ‘di magpa-cremate ka kaagad!”

This I pray will be a wake up call for our dear public servants and to some a slap to urge them do what NEEDS to be done and not make Politics a business or a retirement stage. 

Regarding questions why good people leave this mundane place earlier, my surmise for Sec. was perhaps it's time for us Filipinos to continuously check on our values and set "our standards" for good governance. A lot of people I know have dirty notion for our goverment, at least I myself as well. Albeit now I believe it is never too late for Filipinos. It is never too late for our politicians. It is never too late for the Philippines. We need not a complete change of self, we only need revisions of our goals -- a conscience that is clean, a heart that is open.

Secretary, as they said, you already fared well in your life. May you also fare well in Our God's grace. Farewell.

"Hindi lahat ng matino ay mahusay. At hindi lahat ng mahusay ay matino." - Jesse Robredo



P.S. Nearer To My God is really a moving piece. Hon. Robredo and so were the others who had an ill-fate with the water is I think is same as the Titanic tragedy. 

P.S.S. Hats off to Pilot Jessup Bahinting, and to his Nepalese co-pilot Kshitiz Chand, though too young, may he (and three of them) rest in peace.

2 comments: